Saturday, March 11, 2006

Dream Come True

Yesterday, I did something that made me so happy.



My former classmate at the Dance School called me up Friday night to say it's her wedding the following day. That was yesterday. She even asked if I wanted to swing by the hotel during her preparations to say hi and see her. I had second thoughts about that because I have already made other commitments beforehand. I didn't know what to do at such a short notice, but I completely understood that she was rushing her wedding because she needed to work it in between immigration procedures. We were talking about this plan a few months back.  So I decided to work out my schedule and go anyway. I did this for two things: 1. I felt special that she wanted me to celebrate it with her (considering that we're new at the friendship department) and 2. I'm a big fan of weddings (knowing that this is a special once-in -a-lifetime occasion---well, for most people, and I don't want to miss it for the world). If only I can afford to change careers, Wedding Coordination will be on the Top 5 of my options.  I know it's one of the things I can be really good at. At the hotel, she was so happy to see me and I was so happy to witness it.  Then they got ready for the church.  I felt bad because her group needed all the help they could get.  She did them all by herself! And so...*DRUMROLL PLEASE*...Madam Clarisse decided to step in.  I was so happy to pitch in, I started telling the photographers (who happened to be big ones in the industry) "Hey take this good photo moment...yada yada yada".  I helped deliver flowers and stuff from the hotel to the church, in my car.  It was so funny because one thing led to another. Since I was holding the flowers, head pieces and bouquets, people started asking ME! "Ma'am, who's next in line? What's the order of the procession? One flower girl has no headpiece...do you have an extra?".  I didn't have the time to say "Sorry deary, in fact, the only one I know here is the bride, and I can barely remember her last name!". I just kept doing my best to be of help.  Even at the last moment, I was the one telling the bride, "Smile, walk slowly on the aisle, savor the moment". This carried on to the reception. I made sure that I put the cake slicer and the couple's wine glasses where they should be and circulated the guest book. After the party, I brought some of the bride's things back to the hotel (because the bellboy made me promise to return the room's wicker baskets when I was on my way out). And while I was at it, I made sure they made the room tidy and clean again after the mess of the wedding preps. Oooh all crisp and ready for Honeymoon night... I never had so much fun in my life! I have always been awed by the wedding planners/coordinators featured each week in the TV show "Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?" and I realized I almost looked like one of them yesterday, although not totally (coz I didn't really do the whole thing...can't really give myself 100% of the credit!). But I'm proud of what I've done. That's my good deed for the day.  But you see, that was good karma bouncing back right that very moment.  I know the couple was happy for my help.  Little do they know, they made me very happy too.  They opened the line for two of the many things that matter a lot in life...1.) Make oneself useful for someone else's happiness, UNCONDITIONALLY. And 2.) Even for a single day, make someone's dream come true. Without them knowing it, they did #2 to me...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails