Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Wanted: A Smarter GPS

          Lost  We went house-hunting last Sunday and we got a “little” lost. But we had the GPS on! These navigating thingamabobs may be infamous for making you take the traditional long winding route to a destination, but in the end, still gets you to where you want to go, doesn’t it?


            It isn’t the first time that hubby did not listen to the GPS!  Let me put it this way, it’s not the first time that hubby “disagreed” with the GPS and followed his own satellite coordinates (ego-experience-skill triangulation?)


            What is with men and their navigating pride-slash-arrogance? It’s an accepted fact that they will refuse to ask for directions no matter what it takes…but “verbally” argue with the GPS? Really???


            I just watched the debate quietly in the passenger seat.




Presenting the Cyborg-ish Voice vs. The Hard-headed Driver:


GPS:                 *Prepare to turn right*


Hubby ignores the turn.


GPS:                 *Route re-cal-cu-la-tion*


Hubby keeps on going.


GPS:                 *In 100 yards, turn right*


Hubby:             You’re showing me the wrong way.


Hubby turns left.


Hubby:             I know it’s off
Park St
.


GPS:                 *Turn back*


*Wifey in her mind, “whatever…just keep on going guys while I enjoy the show.”


GPS:                 *Route re-cal-cu-la-tion*


Hubby:             Shut up! You’re showing me the wrong way!


GPS:                 *Turn back*…*Turn back*….*Turn back*…*Turn back*…*Turn back*….*Turn back*…*Turn back*…*Turn back*….*Turn back*…*Turn back*…*Turn back*….*Turn back*




          
After a few more “interesting” moments, I finally heard, “You have arrived at your destination.”  That left me wondering, who brought me to my destination, The Cyborg-ish Voice or the The Hard-headed Driver???


What if a GPS can be really smarter, assertive and more logical? Like maybe one day, we can use a talking-back GPS…something with a more assertive software that can say “NO” or “WHAT DID I SAY, I TOLD YOU TO TURN BACK,” or something like “NO, I’M THE BOSS.  YOU SHUT THE FREAK UP!” Or how about one with a built-in fist that can launch a punch on the nose when you get too stubborn?  That would be a GPES - Global Positioning Entertainment System - for me.




It’s just a suggestion. Got any ideas?




Gps_2   

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails