Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday Malady

-written yesterday at Coffee, anyone?-

It's Monday.

I pressed the snooze twice on hubby's ancient Sony clock radio. Hubby always rises half an hour before I do and he willingly-- or mercilessly?-- resets the alarm to my waking up time. Could it be a form of torture? An indirect way of plotting his revenge at me for hogging the bed each night? I know that it indeed is one of his ways to show that he cares. I do have a special skill for running late for work. But for whatever it truly is, the blaring music from the clock radio this morning seemed starkly ruthless and inhumane. The green digital display showed a blinking 7:12 and I knew that was the dead end of the bargain. I crawled out of bed to get ready. I managed to get the dressiest casual wear I could dig from the closet: a black tank top,  a white hoodie over it, a pair of jeans and a pair of black ballet flats. DRESSIEST. Good thing they're not very strict at work. I would be written up for each Monday that I show up garbed as if the weekend's not over yet and looking like I'm about to launch a lifelong rally to reverse the rule, turning the weekend into five days, and shrinking the work week into two.

It was also too late to shampoo my hair so I put a headband on with my bangs parted in the middle and I put on red lipstick to make it seem like yes, I'm enthusiastically dumping the weekend --- yeah, right! That's the best I could do and now that I see myself occasionally from the mirror next to my computer monitor, I realize I'm  channeling Morticia Addams of the Addams family, two weeks too early for Halloween.



Even the drive to work was a drag. Vehicles were running 35 on a 50mph road. It just dawned on me that perhaps every bay area folk slows down on Mondays. Perhaps it's the weather. The temperature's finally dropped a tad colder making it more undesirable to crawl out of bed by 7am. Or perhaps it's just my brain interpreting everything in blurry slow-mo. It's just me. The universe decided to immigrate it's ever proverbial gaping black hole right into my very skull. I'm now officially the walking blackhole.

I should have called in sick and went to my friend's wedding today. They're getting married at the cityhall in SF. It was a freaking short notice so I didn't have time to work out my schedule. Gay marriage...It's not that I support it. And it's not the I don't. It's a little battle between friendship and values. I'm raised Catholic but it's not only because of that kind of upbringing that there are so many values that I feel strongly about. I just do. But then, I wanted to be there too to support my friend's pursuit of happiness. I respect other people's rights, I always respect other people's thoughts and opinions even if in some instances they conflict with mine. The couple has always been there for me. Why can't I be there for them on a very important day in their life?

But the fact that he told me in such a very short notice and I already took a sick day off recently makes it harder to play hookie at work today. Who doesn't want to keep their jobs in this dwindling economy! That sort of solves my dilemma. Maybe being unable to be part of it due to cirumstances at work is the most convenient thing for the loving friend and open-minded person in me who wants to be there so bad but is restricted by my traditional and conservative side that is equally strong. *wuss* When you're a bundle of contradictions like me, it can get really hard to make up your mind.

Adding the fact that it's a Monday spells disaster. How can you expect someone to make a stand if she can't even find where her head is.

What would you have done?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails