Wednesday, October 15, 2008

For an Idol

Fairly recently, I got bored and dipped the other end of my pen on my leftover coffee and drew some lines on scratch paper.

That was one of those face-flushing, blood-rushing, heart-thumping, lightbulb aka EUREKA! moments for me. I brought my paintbrushes to work the next day and started painting with coffee on the  5x7 sketchbook I have on my work desk. Sketchbooks are part of my First Aid kits!  But then some brushstrokes bled on the paper and I wasn't sure what to do. The aroma was also overpowering-- I didn't say bad! So I wondered, will the artworks last?

I researched online for the best watercolor paper and fixatives, keyed in COFFEE PAINTING FIXATIVE and found several helpful tips. Apparently, I wasn't the first one who thought of using coffee as a medium.  There are quite a lot of professional artists with websites featuring their coffee painting!

I was overjoyed eventually though because I stumbled into SUNSHINE PLATA and what do you know, she's FILIPINO, a true-blooded kababayan! I just wanted to go down on my knees in worship. So there, that's the birth of my new idol, and my new joy that is painting with coffee. Please check out her website Kapeng Mahiwaga ng Isang Diwata. Truly awesome and wondrous works!!!  I'll start featuring her paintings here but I still need to let her know. I sent her some messages on her website and she's so far paid two friendly visits in my Coffee, anyone? website and left messages too (I'm floored!!!) Just dig in my tagboard.

I've been vascillating if I should start posting my works. I didn't feel quite ready yet but here's a phonecam pic of the very first one I made because Sunshine wanted to see it!

Here's my first:  



It has dots of ground coffee that I couldn't get rid of. The paper's also a bit warped, I must have gotten it too wet. And the brushtrokes bled into the paper.  It also still smells like coffee (must be good to lick on caffeine-desperate days). But it's made with love, so to me it's beautiful.

I have an inspiration in this craft now. Hopefully one day, I can inspire other budding artists too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails