Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Klutz Factor

The "klutz" factor runs in my family.

You won't be able to imagine how much time, money and emotions we've spent on appliance replacements, furniture repairs especially back in the Philippines where warranties don't pour as easy as here in the USA. Especially the girls in the family, we're all Calamity Janes reincarnated. Cute clumsy girls out there to rock your world, literally.

I remember my cousin, Dr. R.  She's a doctor now...very smart, very simple, yet very destructive too.  She once blew up an aunt's brand new "imported" stereo by plugging it directly to 220v on that same day the stereo arrived and the aunt needed her help to set it up. I also blew up our first IBM PC (back in those days when screens were still monochrome green). I don't know how I did it, I just did. It started smokin' and smellin' like burnt rubber and suddenly it went kaput on my project. A few years back, I accidentally knocked over a glass of iced tea on my co-workers freshly printed marketing proposal on the last minute that it was supposed to be submitted (*sorry, Rufo, I really didn't mean it*)  My sister T, she was looking at my new tiny Mini Cooper Model (a gift from hubby), tried to open its tiny trunk and doors and tried to wiggle the side mirror and it broke on her, just like that. My mom, she slammed the car door shut upon getting out without thinking that I was following her with my right leg already halfway out. That left me looking all bruised up and bumpy as if I went through some hard sorority hazing (can you imagine that and gymn shorts for PE at the university?) My other sister, the lawyer (usually smart a$$ but nice and sweet), just tripped on her OWN FOOT at the BART station in San Francisco last month, falling face down flat on the ground and leaving the korean lady behind her in a state of shock (how on earth did she do that?) Well, we all would trip on cables while walking, knock down things and appliances and eventually, we got used to it and didn't care anymore, muttering..."there it goes..."

The last casualty in my family is a brand new laptop that my parents bought so they could start emailing and chatting with us. Just when they are finally getting over their fear of computers (fear of the unknown actually since they never dabbled on it faithfully), my mom was ultra-careful one late night to pack up and she forced it shut, not realizing that there was a small bunch of cables sandwiched inside. She forced it shut anyway and ended up with a cracked up screen.  The only thing you can get out of it now is a flickering faint blue light on the display when you boot it up.

Other things in our RIP list (expired before they got outdated):

- 1 Betamax unit

- 3 Sony Handycams (back in the day)

- 4 film cameras

- 2 digital cameras

- 2 cellphones

- 1 electric fan

- the neighbor's dog (courtesy of an uncle in a 10mph street)

Some of these darlings are supposed to be foolproof these days. I guess they need to start including the "klutz" factor in the quality control department. Hubby buys the warranties for things he buys me now sans second thoughts. He calls me his Conan (the Destroyer). Trust me, the knack to find creative ways of destroying something is in our genes. It's innate. You know how we always say complicated people should come with a manual? He always says I should come with a Danger Sign sticker on my forehead.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails