Sunday, December 03, 2006

Kate

What are angels and who are they, really? We grew up recognizing them as the white and the winged assistants singing and playing heavenly music up there.  At least I did. But who really knows?  I've heard a dozen times before they can also be people amongst us, roaming this earth, saving people's lives, keeping us from danger and most of the time, just being there way before or right on time, to give what we exactly need.



A year ago, I went to this restaurant/bar called Totem with my friends back home. I'm not very good at recognizing songs or music but I know which stuff I like when I hear it.  They were playing this music that seemed like a cross between hiphop and african dance, something with a very primal beat that really made me smile and want to stand up, beer in hand, and do an air version of what usually is done someplace else (hmmm).  Dancing makes me happy.  Ofourse, I had to ask what it was and found out that the CD belonged to one of the waitresses there.  Her name is Kate.  I asked for her and begged her if I could borrow the CD (after making a copy, ofcourse, LOL) She, who doesn't know me from Adam, and she, who claimed it was a memorable present -- a special CD mix -- from an ex-boyfriend.  She let me borrow it anyway, probably kissing it goodbye thinking at the back of her head that I might never come back at all. I came back after a month and left the CD with her co-worker who informed me that she quit her job only a few days after I borrowed the CD. She knew then that she might never see me again.



Now, on days when I just couldn't seem to rise from the bed, drowning in grief and all the other painful emotions that come with it, I stand up, play Kate's CD and dance around the room while cleaning and doing other chores.  One day, I danced my way to the bathroom to wash my face, and I saw myself in the mirror smiling back at me.  Kate saved my day that time and still continues to do so.  She's one of those angels I'm talking about.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Angels_5This makes me think, can we, ourselves, be angels to some people too? Maybe if we pay attention more.  But we'll never know.  God probably sends us on saving missions, touching lives even without us knowing it.  Here are some other angel sightings for me recently:



1. My sisters-in-law, Bingbing and Wena (and the postman who mailed a flyer) - instead of pushing through with our reception for Cody's Memorial Service at this buffet place (which is actually not that nice but we picked anyway due to time constraints), they convinced us to make last minute reservations at this better restaurant that they saw in the flyer and checked out themselves.



2. My gay friend, Mr. R, for calling at the right time when I was in bed contemplating on getting a haircut.  He volunteered to pick me up, take me out to lunch and come with me for that make-over mission.  It pays to have a gay friend explaining to a gay stylist what you exactly need! (Mr. R: "No, I've seen her with short hair, no!")



3.  My cousin, Ate Shelly, who was looking around at Ross when I was thinking of going there or at TJ's to pick up a nice paper-mache box for keeping and putting away all of our Cody memories. We talked on the phone, she saw the boxes I wanted and picked a Winnie the Pooh hat box that we ended up using for the memorial service too.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails