Thursday, December 14, 2006

How did you know, Dad?

        Last night, my dad sent me a text message from the Philippines.  He said, "Natatanggap ko message mo buti naman enjoy ka siguro ginagawa mo rin dyan kahit nag-iisa tambay lang sa kapehan enjoy na kagaya Daddy mababaw kaligayahan. Mis u na. Labs ingat." (I receive your messages, it's good that you're enjoying.  What you might also be doing there is hanging out at a coffee shop even just by yourself, enjoying it just like Daddy, so easy to please. Miss you already. Luv u and take care.)



        Awww! How did you know, Daddy?



      It rings a marvelous truth that only this special paternal connection bears witness to.  Despite the distance and time difference, I know that Daddy and I are doing quite the same things. This is the unbreakable and mystical bond that holds our hearts together.



        I sit alone inside Seattle's Best at the Westfield Center Mall in San Francisco, sipping my tall hot Classic Mocha (decaf, non-fat and without whipped cream), reading a book, or watching people, eavesdropping at conversations, looking far away, taking my time, contemplating about life, and finding joy in many things, including that moment. 



        And he sits alone inside Starbuck's Coffee at Shoemart in Batangas City, sipping his tall hot Cafe Americano (no cream but with lots of sugar), watching people, eavesdropping at conversations, looking far away, taking his time, contemplating about life, and finding joy in many things, including that moment.



        Mababaw ang kaligayahan.  Yes, that's my Daddy.  He is so easy to please.  His way of thinking and behaving seem to be so uncomplicated (but who really knows what goes on inside?). No matter what, everything comes out all ironed out already, scratch and wrinkle-free.  What comes out is some deep, honest-to-goodness wisdom and shall I say humor about even life's most difficult tests.  So easy.  He is so undemanding about life.  He finds joy and greatness in the simplest of things.



        My dad and I both like to sketch and draw, be quiet in our caves when we feel like it, be goofy and funny and laugh all we can with people when we want to.  We play the piano, we like driving around, we like taking pictures, we are both organized with our things and files, we both enjoy Do-It-Yourself stuff.  We both like to read minds and observe people. We like watching movies on TV and every food seems to be our favorite one (and did I mention the beer?). We're both patient, calm and trusting our lives to God in a very giving way.



        So, I'd like to believe that our likeness doesn't stop at drinking coffee. 



        After all, I'm a chip off the old block, or at least I'm trying my best to be.  There is still so much to emulate about Daddy.  This one though..."Mababaw ang kaligayahan" (and reaping all the benefits that come with it)...I might as well say now, like daddy, like me.

2 comments:

Marie said...

i was moved by the recent blog youve made.
miss you, take care,
ate mars

Raquel Ghie said...

yup.. teachie that’s really true ganyan tlga kayo ng daddy mo, super pareho tlga.. he.he ..

Related Posts with Thumbnails