Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Uh-oh, Have I Just Sold My Soul?

        *This post is really not meant for this site, but I'm posting it anyway*





        It's been what...3 weeks? 4? since I became official with Payperpost and Blogsvertise. The only two income-generating seas I've so far waded in where blogging is concerned. There's still a huge chunk that doesn't fit snugly in my heart because I feel that I've sold some precious little pieces of myself. I'm just a bit apprehensive that those avid readers *yeah, wishful thinking* who have somehow followed my posts because they found themselves resonating to my thoughts, picking up something good if not learning a little lesson or two, will lose interest because of a slight change in flavor (or lack thereof).





         I have nothing against monetizing the blog, nor those who do it. In fact, I'm a puppy of the same litter and I'm so darn proud of it! In these times where the economy goes nowhere but plummet south and the power of money is shrinking to a nano-size particle, monetizing the blog is a really clean venue where one can earn extra with a little effort, especially for those who are inclined to write. My other feelings about this (the ones that aren't as pleasant) are purely personal though.  I just realized that the plant I'm growing is getting more and more different from the seed I have planted when I started to blog.  This "Coffee, Anyone?" is the product of a dream, born full of promises...both the good and the bad, the crazy and the sober, the fascinating and the mundane facets of my journey.  I am happy with the readership that has developed, it's not that many but quite an appreciative lot. That's something I didn't expect but I am so grateful for. After all, I'm an ardent crusader of the "Starfish Story" principle --- it doesn't matter if what I do can't change the whole world as long as it affects one tiny soul in a good way.  That's one of the life purposes I have been embracing for a long time now.





         I'm in a quandary because a little drop of buzzing or advertising seems to dilute this purpose. On second thought, won't they pass as part of it all, like additional spices in a stew that you are allowed to add but may also do without? I only write about those whose pieces fit into my current plot anyway, although I admit I'm forcing some in with a passion.  I don't know, maybe this is only an initial feeling that is part and parcel of first-time experiences...like that of a virgin's after having sex for the first time. Pardon my example but it's the best thing I could come up with at the moment. Yeah, talk about forcing some in with a passion.  Right. Right.





        One option is to create yet another blogsite specifically for that purpose, but this will bring me back to square one in terms of building up Page Ranking and other related ratings to qualify. Perhaps I should plant another seed without any intention of monetary gain again. Maybe it will evolve once more into something that will bear "fruit" down the road. Definitely, my original site, the one I always refer to as my "birthplace", Thoughts at 3am, will remain unadulterated for life. This niche, on the other hand, will be a collage of sorts for now where I run the risk of people giving my updates the cold shoulder expecting each post or each link to be of commercial nature or people having doubts about my integrity debating if the things I claim to be passionate about come with a fee or are genuinely mine . I have always been passionate in sharing every little discovery in my journey.  So either way, trust that everything is made with the purest intentions. In this case perhaps, the means justifies the end...(and vice versa). Besides, "pure intention" is another strong principle I always try live by.





         Perhaps I should start linking up this post as an epilogue to My Disclosure Policy too.



































1 comment:

K said...

omg. you’ve had this blog since 2005?? i never knew. eto ba yung sinasabi mo sakin? anyways, ganyan din naman ako nung nagsimula. i am so getting your point. tska naging academic writer din ako. euphemism for “taga-gawa ng asaynment ng mga porener”. which is worse, trust me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails