Tuesday, March 10, 2009

So S.O

-taken from Coffee, Anyone? -- March 9, 2009

Monday and I are really arch-enemies. If you are my regular reader (I wish!), you'd know that very well. Plus, it's that time of the year again to set my clock forward an hour. Oh drat!

I was falling asleep on my way to work. I haven't had enough sleep since Thursday.  We went to the emergency room Thursday night and stayed until midnight to make sure my mother-in-law was fine after she hit her head when she tripped and fell in the care home. We are so upset about it.  The personnel didn't even call 911 and waited instead for her next of kin to arrive and bring her to the hospital, which of course didn't happen until everyone got off from work (since we were all informed it was really "NOTHING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT").  It turns out that she had a bleeding cut and a ginormous purple-blue bump on her forehead and her left eye had swollen shut like she just lost to a boxing match.  She stared at me at the ER and said "You're very beautiful-beautiful" and reached out to touch my cheek and sweep my bangs away from my face...which led me to suspect that she was suffering from an undetected neurologic deficit following the head trauma.  Or maybe she's fine and just telling the truth (LOL). Anyway, the CT scan was okay and she's so much better now and the bruise has finally subsided.

Hubby's siblings and their families visited her yesterday and later on got together in our house. My busy kitchen was teeming with food [and people] all day. Hubby initiated a movie marathon from his laptop which he hooked to our flat screen.  For starters, we saw Taken and then Gran Torino and some B movies thereafter. But don't ask me how we got the first two in his laptop. A good samaritan uploaded it one good day as hubby was fixing his car.  We capped the day with a bountiful dinner from my stovetop (stew and veggies) highlighted by hubby's pork ribs that he grilled in the backyard.

The day before that [Saturday], one of my girlfriends came by to visit and slept over so she was with us during the family affair yesterday too.  I really didn't get that much ZZZs because from Saturday night until 3:00am (DST or non-DST, I can't even remember...or figure out), we were up talking and catching up as we watched old movies while hubby dozed off in the couch -- he didn't want to feel anti-social by leaving us alone and going up to the room to "offiially" sleep.

That explains why I've been forever at a loss of words at work today. My brain and tongue seem to have suddenly gotten into a terrible lover's quarrel, disagreeing at every form of verbal expression that needed to be uttered until I started to wonder if the weekend gave me a little stroke and left me aphasic...and narcoleptic ("stoned" is perhaps more befitting though I've never ever been that, really).  Even my basic mathematical skills -- usually, I can do some amount of elementary mental arithmetic -- seemed to have gone on strike.



That's how I usually emerge from the weekend.  But my mom-in-law's fine, she even thinks I'm beautiful -- even if that opinion is probably rooting from the recent head injury *LOL*, I got together with a friend from college, we had an impromptu joyous family gathering at our house ...and have I told you, my backache's gone! It disappeared as unexpectedly as it has come.

So, I still have so much to thank God for, however spaced-out-from-the-sleep-deprived-weekend I feel.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails