Monday, March 16, 2009

Green

It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow!

Saint Paddy's is celebrated worldwide by those of Irish descent and increasingly by non-Irish people.

My maternal grandmother had never forgotten to recognize her Irish great grandfather. Does that make me "of Irish descent"? LOL. That little drop of Irish blood has very likely long since bled out of me when I scraped my knee in preschool. If it's any consolation, I do have a large collection of tiny polka dots all over me a.k.a. freckles, and will it count if I get visited by the faerie-folk sometimes (in my dreams) * LOL*.

Nonetheless, I still hold a special spot in my heart for anything Irish, in memory of my grandmother, if not my great-ultra-ancient-great-great grandfather.

That includes: Leprechauns (elgk!) and faerie folk,  Tína Nog (amazing legend!), Banshee, Ad Seidh, Finn MacCool, the children of Lir, Cúlainn, the Giant's Causeway, Morholt and the Fomorians etc.  Hearing someone speak Gaelic always gives me a mystical tingle in my heart that I can't explain.

Lá ’le Pádraig or Lá Fhéile Pádraig

Woohoo, I rock (but that was copy-pasted).

Anyhoo, here'a trivia for you (thanks to Wikipedia): St. Patrick's Blue, not green, was the colour long-associated with St. Patrick. Green, the colour most widely associated with Ireland, with Irish people, and with St. Patrick's Day in modern times, may have gained its prominence through the phrase "the wearing of the green" meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing. At many times in Irish history, to do so was seen as a sign of Irish nationalism or loyalty to the Roman Catholic faith.

I'm wearing green for the latter.  And yeah, okay, for my late grandmother.Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona dár gcairde agus teaghlach!

Have a great time tomorrow, you guys. And don't end up like terminal drunks!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails