Thursday, December 04, 2008

Because the bad boys cried wolf...



You tend to hang up the phone even if it's the real one calling. 

Even if it's the President-Elect of the United States of America.

NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE!



When the President-elect called Ileana Ros-Lehtinen she hung up on him. Twice. Thinking that the call was a hoax, the Republican congresswoman greeted him the first time, saying: “You know, you’re a better impersonator than that guy who does Obama on Saturday Night Live.” When he insisted that he really was Mr Obama, Mrs Ros-Lehtinen said: “You’re so good, but honestly I’m too jaded for this. It’s a great prank. I love it when they do it to everybody, including me. Thank you very much.”

According to the account by Mrs Ros-Lehtinen, Mr Obama persevered, saying: “How can I convince you that this is Barack?” She replied: “Yeah, sure, have a great day.” Then, she said it was case of “Plunk, I hung up”.

I really thought that was hilarious!

Second Call.

A few minutes later Mr Obama tried again through his Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, who told her: “Ileana, I cannot believe you hung up on the President-elect.”  The Miami Congresswoman remained suspicious, however, refusing to believe that he really was Mr Emanuel. Then Mr Obama, who has been calling Congressional leaders to congratulate them on their reelection, came on the line only to be told: “Guys, it’s a great prank, really. I love it, but I’m not falling for it.” Then hung up.

Third attempt.

Howard Berman, the chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs, on which she is the most senior Republican, telephoned urgently to inform Mrs Ros-Lehtinen that she risked offending Mr Obama. Even then she was skeptical, asking him to recount a private joke. When he passed that test, Mrs Ros-Lehtinen said: “I know this sounds very presumptuous, but please tell President-elect Obama he can call me now and I will take his call.”

Really hilarious. She had been a victim of a crank call before. And so is the rest of mankind.

I was laughing out loud when I learned about this.

But it makes you realize how the world seems to be more paranoid and distrustful these days. All because we are in the age of crank caller radio stations, prank callers in general, identity thieves, swindlers and mother frauders.

We trust less, we watch our backs more. We are less secure. We are scared more. And the vicious cycle goes on. We're doing it to ourselves.

What have we done?

How do we stop this?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails