Monday, December 01, 2008

Are you special too?

I find it really amazing how once in a while, you find yourself discovering that someone else wants the same exact quirky thing that you want: dunking almond biscotti on a cup of...NOT hot coffee...but ice cold and fizzing diet orange sunkist (my friend Flo and I); or liking diet coke not because it's "diet" but because you both think it tastes better than regular (I forgot who that was but I'm a big diet coke fan not because it's a "diet" drink);  or trying to paint with coffee (I thought I was the only one who thought of that -- apparently not); or wishing you can buy rubber gloves for barefeet because you both like stepping into the tub while cleaning it with clorox (my sister and I, and we didn't even find out about it until last week!).

So yesterday I was looking online where I can buy black chalkboards.  I want a big blackboard for one empty wall of our garage and one menu board for my little red italian kitchen. I found one that makes custom-made ones for those in the food business.



What I was really looking for are those plain ones that I can work with, draw on with colored chalk, and change at my every whim. Blame it on the active child within me.

It's just amazing how one search came up with a girl who had that same thing noted down on a wishlist online. You'd know it's important because it was the #1 on her wishlist.  What I'm driving at is...well, I would understand if we were surfing for let's say, sunglasses or some popular fashion trend or household commodity.

But a big school-standard sized chalkboard for personal use? TO DOs, reminders, drawings, grafitti, doodles and all. 

Sorry to burst my own bubble.  But then, wanting a chalkboard really isn't that strange, quirky, or special. But if you're a 35-turning-36-this-year woman who would like to receive a Crayola Glow Station for Christmas over maybe a Hermes or Louis Vuitton purse (I am!), please raise your hand!!!

Well, sometimes we think we're too special. But it's nice to "ooh", "aah" and "wow" when we discover that someone else shares the same uniqueness (which ironically makes stuff not so unique after all). That won't really make one "not special"...in fact, that makes two special. Or three. Or a hundred. Maybe thousands.



Tell me, what do you think makes you special? Don't be shy...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails