Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wednesday's Child



...is full of woe. That's what the poem says. Anyway, it's Wednesday and I can't think of anything sensible to say. Well, half of the time my posts really don't make sense at all anyway but I'd like to think that on the other 50% of the time,  my post does hit a homerun at least. So today is one of those garbage gibberish. Maybe. I usually just go with the flow.

Monday was...well, yeah, I don't do Mondays. Lately, things have been unstable. You know how it is when at last you strike a balance in your life and then all of a sudden, something happens that pulls the rug from under your feet. That's how it feels.  Well, life is like a box of chocolates (Yes, Forrest)...you'll never know what you're gonna get (Run, Forrest, run!). It's about some health concerns for the two people I love and who I wish I'm there for. I hope and pray that my mom and dad will be blessed with good health and healing and will be spared from further nerve-wracking stress. For those who haven't yet experienced that, let me tell you...medical tests are like double-bladed swords -- they are a good way to diagnose and design a treatment plan, but they also have the ultimate power to drive you nauseous and vomiting.  The results, I believe, are the only pieces of paper I know that has the power to tear right into one's heart. I hope everything goes well. We might later find out that there is really nothing I should have worried about in the first place. You know how sometimes you brace yourself for the worst and then nothing happens? You close your eyes even longer, hold your breath and clench your fists and it's still pregnant silence...no aliens, no tornado, no rapid gunfire.  It's hard when I'm far away. I can only hope and pray while I wish I am there with them every step of the way. I want to take care of them and protect them and reciprocate how much they have done for me. Thy will be done, Lord...(but here's hoping you can change your mind, Lord).  Just kidding. I am one to embrace God's plans, I know He always has something up his sleeve that is even more beautiful than my human mind can ever create. So I await.

So anyway, let me tell you about the weekend. The truth is I'm really lazy to go through the details. Let me just tell you that hubby had a blast with his friends up in Tahoe and the photos were amazing. He came back with three humonguous pine cones for me (I can see the question mark over your head...trust me, it's sweet). As for my movie marathon, us girls had so much fun too. It graduated into an impromptu slumber party. Followed by the Oscar's over a dinner of leftovers last Sunday. I did manage to squeeze in going to church too! My first time ever to attend Vietnamese services...Perhaps never again. I have nothing against Vietnamese, it's just that I'd rather have it on my dinner plate. Seriously, Vietnamese or not, it's easier to concentrate when you hear words that you can comprehend. It would have been different with the Mexican service because I can understand Spanish. Or under any circumstance, we can just speak and listen in the universal language which only our hearts can hear and speak. It's the language of prayer. Surprisingly, everyone knows it, some just refuse to use it.

It's Ash Wednesday today...for us Catholics, we normally think of what to give up as a sacrifice so we can be in communion with our Lord Jesus Christ's suffering on the Cross.  Catholic or not, Christian or not, believers and non-believers alike...This whole thing is really all about LOVE and what we want to do to NOURISH IT. After all, don't we make sacrifices for our spouses/bf/gf/bff/abcdef??? When we offer sacrifices, we give up worldly things we are attached to the most, and thus we strip ourselves of the things that obscure our senses -- these things that inhibit our ability to recognize what truly matter the most. When we make sacrifices, we purify our minds and hearts in the process so that we can welcome more goodness in. This includes being sorry for our sins and FORGIVING those who wronged us. For spiritual skeptics, you very well know that this has a scientific and psychological value too right? In other words, and in any language or discipline, when our hearts are clean, love begins to grow, and goodness comes in (and stays).

So...what am I giving up for Lent? Blogging.  And you know that I'M KIDDING -- because I have paid articles to make and a long list of opps that need to pay some bills. So what am I giving up for Lent? There are three important things but I'm not telling. I'm not going to ask you what you're going to give up either, and you don't have to tell me.  Just promise me that you'll be doing it for the right reasons and that you'll make it good. 

Let's all make it good. Hmmm. I think this post made sense after all.

---written 2/25/09 for Coffee, Anyone? ---



 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails