Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My Obama Dreams

It's very common that after whirlwind weekend trips to LA, I just pretend that the week doesn't have a Monday. It goes like this: Saturday-Sunday-Tuesday....yada yada. I don't see anything outlandish about that because it's something I have long gotten used to. We normally get home two-ish on Monday morning, sleep, get up to go to work, float dreamily throughout the day and hope and pray that no sleep-deprivation-induced work-related mishaps occur. It's now Tuesday...I don't remember Monday at all. Maybe there really wasn't any Monday yesterday. But so far...so good. I think I did okay at work. I hope.

What's odd though is not the feeling that I have just woken up after skipping a tiny box in the calendar between Sunday and Tuesday, but that I dreamt of President Obama...again.  And it's not your regular I-shook-his-hand dream, nor the I-saw-him-on-TV dream.  For the second time, I dreamt that we were dancing together at the Ellen Degeneres show...just kidding!!!  I had really dreamt that we were real-life friends and that I was giving him pieces of advice --me, who doesn't usually give a hoot about politics *duh*. The first dream occured a long time ago before the election hype even picked up.  And the second time was last night or early this morning (how does one know the time of the dream anyway?).  Strange. I'm not even sure if I like him now after he signed an executive order ending the ban on federal funds for international groups that perform abortions or provide information on the option. Maybe that's why. I am seriously against that.

What I am really holding on to is hopefully a sound plan and action from him to help struggling Americans and lift the nation’s distressed businesses out of a lagging economy. I hold my breath for that. Don't we all?

Every household can feel the effect of the current global downturn. Layoffs, real estate losses,  corporate bankruptcies, growing crime rates (thus, creating a vicious cycle) have reached epidemic levels I can't even begin to envision how we are going to cope in the next few years. We are now stripped of pursuing gargantuan american dreams and are now down to the basics of figuring out how to pay for the next month's mortgage or rent, some even living day-to-day.

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth. I think it is a very humbling experience. It is good to pick up a lesson or two on resilience, patience, resourcefulness, humility, FAITH in God, simplicity and contentment of poorer nations-- where living, laughing and loving (and praying!) continue to be the richest resources and where usually, these are enough.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails