Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Old Friendship, revisited


Somewhat.


He's only an imaginary friend I adopted in my younger years the moment I got my nose stuck in his first collection of essays, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten (1986). His collections that I've so far chewed, digested, inhaled, guzzled, read over and over until the corners curled with folds collecting potato chip crumbs, pages greased out by butter and dotted with coffee stains include:



  • It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It

  • Uh-Oh

  • Maybe (Maybe Not)


Then, 120 million new authors and pseudo-gurus later, the books have gathered dust in my old shelf back home, most likely forgetting the sensation of being held and leafed through by eager hands. His name, obstructed by cobwebs woven in my head through years of unending busy days.

Until I came across one of the JOTW winners this week Links - A 50 year old guy blogs .  I read his posts and gave an impromptu comment "You are like my favorite author, Robert Fulghum".  I was surprised I remembered. I was surprised that even rolled out.

I believe everything happens for a reason. You have no idea how bad I wanted to cram through the rest of the collections I've missed:

  • From Beginning to End -- The Rituals of Our Lives

  • True Love

  • Words I Wish I Wrote

  • What On Earth Have I Done


I fell in love with the first book because it expounded his down-home philosophy of seeing the world through the eyes of a child. There we go. He still sits in one dark corner, hidden in the deep recesses of my subconcious after all -- serving as that one unacknowledged spiritual guide. Still a big influence, no less. In my blogs, in my way of thinking, in my attitude towards the nitty-gritty of life.

"Answer a question no one has thought to ask you." - Robert Fulghum
My answer?
Yes. I wish I'd grow up[old] to be like him...think like him, write like him.

"Answer a question no one has thought to ask you." - Robert Fulghum
It's your turn.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails