Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sunblocked in Reno

          I’m drinking pepsi today.



(The rest of this post will have nothing to do with drinking Pepsi).



          Img_6828Hubby and I went to Reno last weekend for his softball  tournament.  A really welcome respite from it all.  But it was so darn hot out on the field last Saturday, I practically melted over my flipflops while I screamed and cheered and nurtured a deep-seated anger for sticky sunblock. I wasn’t being little miss quirky, in fact, I had loathed anything that was smelly, waterproof, sticky or greasy  Img_6834(especially that altogether in one formula) on my skin eversince I was a kid. The scent of Coppertone would always send me running for my life and nothing has changed thus far. But I guess, you can’t hate what protects you.



        Enough about sunblock.



        The rest of the weekend went really great. Had two buffets in a row (Silver Legacy on Saturday night, Atlantis for Sunday’s lunch---crab feast!!!)… in between was a series of relentless unproductive “alcohol-infused” affairs with the slot machines at The Nugget Img_6843where we  stayed for two nights and at Harrah’s downtown. Man, these things guzzle up bucks like crazy! I’m not really the gambling kind. I would rather see my money vanish on good margarita…or food…



       Yeah right, food… I just impulse-bought a small princesscut diamond pendant in one of the pawnshops in downtown Reno.  I wasn’t intending to buy it but we made an offer for a Img_6842hundred bucks and the guy agreed. I figured, since I could have been seeing that same amount chip away in a thousand little pieces while betting on the merciless Wheel of Fortune machine, I might as well turn my remaining gambling allowance into a girl’s bestfriend, and for 1/4 the price of the real value!



        So in principle, “we” sort of recovered what we lost and it’s Img_6876on my neck right now (not to mention the rainbow-colored stuffed  butterfly, the anemic monkey and the powder blue teddy bear from Circus Circus).  I’m not really materialistic. I liked the diamond because it was cute (and cheap), not because it’s a status symbol.



        Plus, I think it’s a reasonable reward for putting up with sunblock. Yes, I hate it that bad.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails